To most people, family is everything. Your family is made up of the people you care about most in the world and, in many cases, you would do anything for each other. That’s typically how parents feel toward their children and vice versa, even if it takes a few years for kids to really appreciate all that you do for them. But these heartwarming quotes about family are sure to hit you right in the feels. Even the grumpiest of us all can understand and relate to at least a few of these quotes about family.
Maybe your own family is comprised mostly of close friends and that’s OK too. The whole idea behind these heartwarming quotes about family is that family is important, no matter who your family members are. They are the people you expect to be in your corner cheering you on and vice versa. There are probably no better people to put that into words most eloquently than the likes of famous authors and public figures, as seen here.
It’s also understandable if you don’t necessarily agree with Friedrich Nietzsche’s comparison of family and love with music and harmony. Or perhaps you love Jane Howard’s perception of family being a “tribe” of people nearest and dearest to you more than any of the other family quotes. However you express your love for your family in particular, these quotes about family are sure to warm even the coldest heart.
1. “Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life.” — Lisa Weed.
2. “In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony.” — Friedrich Nietzsche.
3. “To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there.” — Barbara Bush.
4. “My family is my life, and everything else comes second as far as what’s important to me.” — Michael Imperioli.
5. “It didn’t matter how big our house was. It mattered that there was love in it.” — Peter Buffett.
6. “My mother used to tell me that when push comes to shove, you always know who to turn to. That being a family isn’t a social construct but an instinct.” — Jodi Picoult.
7. “So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty.” — Haniel Long.
8. “Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.” — Brad Henry.
9. “A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” — Agatha Christie.
10. “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.” — Frederick Buechner.
11. “Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.” — Jane Howard.
12. “Family is the most important thing in the world.” — Princess Diana.
13. “One’s family is the most important thing in life. I look at it this way: One of these days I’ll be over in a hospital somewhere with four walls around me. And the only people who’ll be with me will be my family.” — Robert Byrd.
14. “The love of family and the admiration of friends is much more important than wealth and privilege.” — Charles Kuralt.
15. “I sustain myself with the love of family.” — Maya Angelou.
16. “Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there anymore.” — Robin Hobb.
17. “The most important thing in the world is family and love.” — John Wooden.
18. “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” — Mother Teresa.
To many, family is the most important thing in the world. And however you slice it, these quotes best exemplify what family means and how important it is, whether you have a large family or just a few close relatives near to you. Everyone can always use a reminder of why they should appreciate the family they have.