Pets play an important role in our lives. They can sit with you during the evenings, give you companionship, and help with loneliness. As a matter of fact, they can be lifesavers when it comes to grief and depression.
Did you know that research has shown that stroking a pet can significantly decrease your stress levels? Stress can affect you in several ways, both emotionally and physically.
And have you ever wondered how many folks have pets in the United States?
Read on to find out some fascinating facts and statistics about the U.S. pet ownership.
Pet Ownership Statistics
1. 67% of US households have a pet of some kind
According to a national pet owners survey carried out by the American Pet Products Association (APPA), 67% of households in the US own a pet. This is up from 56% of households in the country in 1988, the first year the survey was carried out. Apart from this, 20% of U.S. households have had a pet at some point. And just 13% never owned a pet.
2. Dogs are the most famous animals owned as pets in America
The pet population in the country is increasing rapidly. Dogs are the most famous pets in the country, with nearly 50 million households having one dog. As per the APPA, a pet owner has 1.7 dogs. The amount of loyalty and love dogs show is unparalleled. Additionally, they are able to protect your property and are easy to train, making them the ideal companion animals. The most popular dog breeds in the country are the Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, German Shepherd, and Doberman Pinscher among others.
Dog owners are generally more than happy to spend money on their dogs. This is because they can help them with training, provide emotional support and act as a source of comfort. If you have a dog, then it is crucial that you ensure that you are able to afford the necessary pet care. This is because it will require regular checkups to maintain the pet health.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) ensures that dogs receive the best care. They also educate pet owners on how to properly care for their dogs. This ensures that the pets are not left at risk of health problems. The expenditures incurred by dog owners in purchasing dog food, medical care and other supplies are considerable.
In addition, pet insurance companies provide coverage for pet owners, who wish to ensure that their pets are safe and protected. These companies also ensure that they cover the expenses incurred by dog owners, who suffer from accidents or illnesses. This ensures that the pets do not suffer in any way and can be treated properly.
The humane society and the ASPCA ensure that dogs are properly cared for. The organization also provides assistance to pet owners, who need help in caring for their pets. This ensures that they are provided with necessary support and advice.
3. 34% of the households in the US have a cat
Cats are in second place when it comes to pet popularity, according to the cat ownership statistics. About 42.7 million households in the US own at least one cat. And 3% of households having cats consider them property under their care. About 20% of households having cats consider them companions. And 76% of households having cats consider them family members.
Cat owners generally consider their cats as companions. It is not uncommon for cats to sleep in bed with their owners. However, it is important to keep in mind that a cat’s safety should be the top priority for all pet owners. Cats are very curious animals, so it is very important to keep them safe.
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) recommends that pet owners keep their cats indoors. Free-roaming cats can be a nuisance to neighbors, and can also become victims of injury or death. There are plenty of precautions that can be taken to keep your cat safe.
4. 29% of households in the US have dogs as well as cats
Nearly a third of households in the country own dogs and cats as well.
Animal shelters are used to help homeless animals in the US. Animal shelters are one of the best ways to ensure that animals are well taken care of. In the US, animal shelters usually offer services such as adoption, rehoming, fostering and sometimes training for specific animals.
The adoption process is different for each type of animal. Some animals are offered with a fee while others are offered without any cost at all. Many animals that have been abandoned by their owners or whose owners cannot afford to care for them anymore can be re-homed by animal shelters and other organizations. The number of animal shelters in the US is increasing every year as more people become aware of the need to take care of abandoned animals and stray pets around them.
The pet industry in the US is one of the most dynamic industries in the country. With increasing demand for pets, there is also an increasing number of pet stores in the country. This can be attributed to a growing number of pet owners as well as a growing number of pet lovers who have become animal lovers after adopting their cats and dogs. The industry has also seen a great increase in its sales due to an increased demand for dog and cat food, grooming supplies and other supplies that are necessary for pets.
Cats and dogs are considered to be the most popular pets in the US, but it doesn't mean that other pets are not sold in the country. In fact, there are many types of pets that are sold in pet stores in the US. One of the most popular types of pets that are sold in pet stores is exotic animals. There are many exotic animals available for sale in pet stores and online as well. Some of these exotic animals include crocodiles, monkeys, snakes and lizards among others.
Saltwater and freshwater fish are also being sold as pets in the US. There are several reasons why people decide to buy freshwater fish as pets. One of the main reasons is that they can be bought from pet stores at a very low price. Other reasons include their unique appearance and beautiful colors. Many freshwater fish have been bred and are known to be quite friendly and docile. The type of pet fish sold in pet stores can also be customized to suit the needs of their owners.
States with the Most and Least Pet Owners
Which states have the most pet owners? Let’s find out!
1. 71.8% of households in Wyoming have one pet or more
Wyoming is the state with the most pets.
- Number of households with pets: 172,000
- Number of households: 240,000
- Households that own at least one pet: 71.8%
2. 70.7% of households in West Virginia have one pet or more
Here is the pet ownership statistics of West Virginia
- 37.7% of households in West Virginia have a cat.
- 49.6% of households in West Virginia have a dog.
- 70.7% of households in West Virginia have a pet.
3. California has the greatest number of pet-owning households
- Almost 40% of households in California have at least one dog.
- 22.9% of households in California have a cat.
- 40.1% of households in California have a pet.
This is not surprising, given it is the country’s most populous state.
4. Texas has 5.88 million pet-owning households
Texas Pet Ownership Statistics
- 20.5% of households in Texas have a cat.
- 43.4% of households in Texas have a dog.
- 58.2% of households in Texas have a pet.
States with Least Pet Owners
1. The percentage of pet owners is lowest in Rhode Island
- 16.7% of households in Rhode Island have a cat.
- 25.8% of households in Rhode Island have a dog.
- 45.4% of households in Rhode Island have a pet.
- Also, the population of cats in Rhode Island is quite small, just counting 151,000 felines.
2. 46.4% of households in South Dakota have pets
- 26.6% of households in South Dakota have a cat.
- 32.1% of households in South Dakota have a dog.
- 46.4% of households in South Dakota have a pet.
- South Dakota is the state that has the 2nd lowest number of pet owners.
Cat and Dog Ownership Statistics
Now let’s find out which states are the best when it comes to ownership of the dogs and cats in the country.
1. New Hampshire pet ownership statistics
- 36.4% of households in New Hampshire have a cat.
- 23.7% of households in New Hampshire have a dog.
- 51.8% of households in New Hampshire have a pet.
2. Idaho pet ownership statistics
- 34.4% of households in Idaho have a cat.
- 33.3% of households in Idaho have a dog.
- 69.9% of households in Idaho have a pet.
3. Vermont pet ownership statistics
- 44.6% of households in Vermont have a cat.
- 28.3% of households in Vermont have a dog.
- 70% of households in Vermont have a pet.
Pet Owner Demographics
1. Pet ownership is not affected by education level
When it comes to pet kinds, pet statistics suggest that horses are more often owned by individuals who have Master’s degrees and above. And birds, cats, and dogs are likelier to be owned by individuals who never went to college.
2. The income of a household positively correlates to pet ownership
The greater the income of an individual, the likelier they are to have one pet. Nearly 50.3% of households having pets are occupied by the income bracket of above $55,000. American households with pets are not just the affluent ones, however. Among all American households with pets, there are nearly many households that have pets of various types.
The number of dogs owned by American households depends on the household income. The higher the income of the household, the more likely they are to have a dog.
3. Family households own pets at a 48.78% greater rate than non-family units
About 70.7% of households having pets were families. Married people without or with kids are the likeliest to have pets. However, females residing with a non-relative are the least likely.
4. Individuals residing in mobile own pets at the highest rate of 73.8%
Individuals residing in mobile are the likeliest group to own pets. Their rate of pet ownership has increased from 64.4% in 2001 to 73.8% in 2016.
5. Folks residing in houses own pets at a 52.66% higher rate than people residing in apartments
This is a predictable difference since looking after pets is much easier if they have additional space. Approximately 65.8% of folks residing in houses in the US own pets, compared to 43.1% of folks residing in apartments.
Elementary Statistics on Pet Ownership
1. The first year of owning a pet can cost over $1,000
The cost of owning a pet is the highest in the first year. There are several one-time expenses, such as training, collars, neutering, leashes, and a preliminary medical exam.
2. Around 60% of pet owners are concerned about the quality of the nutrition of their pet
Natural pet food does not contain colors, artificial flavors, and preservatives. Likewise, organic pet food does not contain preservatives and toxic pesticides. Other than that, it has no synthetic hormones or antibiotics.
3. More than 90% of pet owners consider their pets to be family members
Nearly all pet owners consider their pets a part of their family. And this isn’t just restricted to dogs and cats.
Cockroaches, insects, reptiles, fish, and birds are included in this family category.
4. 38% of pet owners believe they handle Covid-19 related stress and anxiety due to their pets
The pandemic has impacted everyone. Fortunately, 45% of pet owners were happy due to the lockdown. It meant that they could spend quality time with their dogs or cats.
And 38% of pet owners handled stress and anxiety easier because of the affection of their pet. Moreover, 43% of Gen Xers, 47% of Millennials, and 43% of Gen Zers think that their pets offer wonderful emotional support and comfort.
5. 85% of pet owners identify their pets as a source of unconditional love and support
Pets give you affection apart from unconditional love. In addition to this, they help us boost our health and alleviate stress.
What’s more, according to research, pets in the office can help decrease anxiety and stress. They can also increase your productivity and morale in general.
Several studies have shown that having pets in your homes is beneficial to your overall being and health. That has been especially vital during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The companionship of pets helps to lower blood pressure and decrease stress, which helps make folks feel better during these unpredictable times.